The following are questions and answers you might find helpful:
(Scroll down for online application)
Can a person go to heaven without being baptized? YES!
- The blood of Jesus cleanses us from sin, not the waters of baptism. Hebrews 9:22; 1 John 1:7
- The thief on the cross was never baptized, yet he went to heaven. Luke 23:39:42
- At Cornelius’ House they were converted and filled with the Spirit of God before they were baptized. Acts 10:44-48
- The Philippian jailer was told, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.” Acts 16:31. His Baptism was a result of his salvation not the means to it.
- In Romans 10, on of the most important chapters about salvation in the most important book about salvation, no mention is made of baptism as being necessary to salvation. V 9-13
- Zacchaeus was declared “saved” by Jesus before baptism. Luke 19:1-10
- Paul claimed to be the spiritual father of the Corinthian Christians he had “Begotten then through the gospel,” not through baptism. Corinthians 4:15; 1:14-17
Why then be baptized?
- The Bible commands it. Acts 2:38; Matthew 28:19
- Jesus, our Example, was baptized. 1 Peter 2:21; Matthew 3:13-17
- The early church taught and practiced baptism. There were baptismal services recorded in the book of Acts. 2:41, 8:12, 8:38
- Our Baptism pleases God. Matthew 3:17
- Because of what baptism says: it proclaims the Gospel; it pictures out experience; it declares our hope.
Who should be baptized? ALL BELIEVERS!
- Baptizing infants is not scriptural; dedication of infants is scriptural.
- Children should not be baptized until they fully understand what it represents.